Total Pageviews

Saturday 29 October 2011

Half-term Homework Assignment - Ivana Talbott

1. Use of the camera
Does your finished work show that you can:

-Hold a shot steady?
Each shot in the video we created shows that we used the tripod effectively and made sure that the camera was steady, and not shaky. This made our video look more professional. Even when we were moving the camera for a panning shot (0:26-0:30) I made sure the camera was still steady.

-Frame a shot appropriately
We planned the framing of each of our shots on the story boards by drawing a grid and trying to stick the the golden means. However, we had a different location to the film we were copying so we couldn't entirely stick to their frames so we changed them to fit our location. However, we still stuck to the golden means to make the shots more interesting to the eye.

-Use a variety of shot types
We stuck completely to our shot list and our shot list shows we had a variety of different shots. This is also shown in our video, this makes the shots look more interesting and creates tension.

-Use of composition techniques
We couldn't stick to the story board entirely as we had to change location at the last minute. However, we did our best to stick to the frames as best as we could with the location we had. Next time it would be best to make sure we have a certain location and stick to this location to make it easier to frame the shots whilst filming.

2. Use of editing. 
Does your finished work show that you can:

-Apply the rules of continuity editing?
I think our shots flow together very well. This is because we left approximately 3 seconds on either side of the shot to enable all the action to be in the shot when cutting and editing the clip. I think we could have added transitions to make our clip look more professional instead of a standard cut every time.

-Choose appropriate editing transitions to put your shots together?
The video in which we were copying from didn't have any transitions between each shot, therefore we didn't add any. In future I am going to look into transitions to make my work like more interesting and professional.
In the shots with the dead bodies at 0:51 we added a bright white shot for half a second in between the two shots of the dead person. This was to make it look like it was images in the main characters mind and not just two random images shown on screen.
3. Selection of Content
Does your finished work show that you can:

-Choose appropriate costume, makeup and props for your film genre?
Our film clip was very simplistic when it comes to costume and props. The costume was a basic white t-shirt which is simple but effective. This way it takes the focus from the costume and puts the focus on the characters face and body actions, creating tension throughout the audience. There were no props used in our clip as the theme throughout was emptiness, hence why the character is in an empty white room. So adding props would take away the empty feel to the clip.
We used darker clothing for the dead body at 0:51 to tie in with the overall dark scene. Its also a nice contrast between the highly exposed, bright light in the other scenes.
The makeup we used was basic black eyeliner round the eyes and a light concealer on the face and lips. This made the chracater look dead and almost supernatural looking. The symbols on the arm were also done with eyeliner and this gives the character a sense of mysteriousness as the audience don't know what and why the symbols are on her.

-Choose appropriate locations and settings for your film genre?
The original film clip was in a basic white room, so we used a white room in my work partners house. This created a sense of emptiness and worked very well. The white room enabled us to up the exposure and create a ghostly feeling to the shots, which added to the tension.
We couldn't find a location dark enough to film the dead body at 0:51 so we just filmed it outside and edited the lighting and the colour on the macs. However, I think this worked to our advantage because the resolution was a lot clearer as we filmed it in the day, compared to filming at night.

-Choose appropriate actors for your film?
The actor we used was a teenage girl, mainly because this type of character is known as being very vulnerable. This type of character is used in many films as the vulnerability makes the audience feel on edge.

4.Self assessment.


-What did you do to help complete the film?
I did the acting in the film, as I'm a drama student and I had a vision of what I wanted to see in our short clip and I thought the best way to get it done would be to do it myself. I also did the makeup and costumes myself aswell.
I am aware that whilst I'm acting I can't be doing the camera shots, therefore I initially studied the original film clip and wrote the shot list and drew the story board looking carefully at the rule of thirds to help my partner to frame the shot correctly whilst I'm acting. Also, in between each shot I helped my partner set up the camera in the right position for each shot and we discussed what we both wanted in each shot. I also set the white balance and exposure on the camera before shooting.
Because I couldn't film anything I made sure I was in charge of editing and edited what we had shot.

-Is there anything that you will do differently when it comes to your final coursework film?
I will make sure I am in a group of atleast 3 people, as working as a two means there is a lot of work for each person.
I also think its important to choose your location early on so you know for definite where your shooting and can plan your shots and your storyboards around this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment